Friday, September 2, 2016

My Imagined Classroom

Here is one of the posters that could be hanging on my wall warming the walls and pulling students into the subject of biology!
Image result for biology high school classroom
This is a picture of a classroom similar to the one
I have imagined! The classroom can look dull and unexciting but
my personality and attitude can help brighten the room!



Image result for biology high school social contract
This is a social contract similar to
 the one hanging in my classroom that was
 made by the students for the students
to feel like they can be a part of a
classroom of democracy!

When you walk into my future classroom it will be covered in cool posters of DNA codon charts, rare bacteria, labeled animal cells, the scientific method, student projects and a giant periodic table. There are white boards covering the front wall and part of the sidewall nearest the door, with class assignments and the class schedule written on it. The room is full of two people blacktopped lab tables arranged in rows facing the front white board. There is a desk in the back corner with a computer and a nameplate reading Mrs. Brady. The back wall is covered in windows and large shelving units full of microscopes, textbooks and models. There is also a locked cabinet of chemicals to which only I hold the key. There are beakers and goggles hanging above a big sink used for in-class experiments.  Above the front white board is a projector screen that pulls down and a digital clock hangs on the wall. 

        One of the posters on the wall has class rules determined by the students and me that include: be on time, no cell phone use, respect your classmates and teachers, no cussing (because that isn’t unreasonable), no eating during labs, be careful with chemicals and lab equipment during labs. All of the students’ names are signed in different colors at the bottom showing they agree to the rules. If they don’t follow these rules they have agreed on receiving a warning and discussion of the problem the first time; detention with me after the second time that could mean cleaning the class, doing homework or other chores I determine; the third offense will merit calling the parents and the fourth will be a meeting with the principal. But the students are willing to agree to these rules because of my mastery homework policy. This policy says that as long as the students turn in their homework in on time they can redo the assignment for a higher score. If they do turn in the homework in late, however, they will lose 10% of the grade for every day it is late. I will also allow students to make up test questions that they miss for a quarter of the original points with the focus of helping the students master the subjects of biology.
        The students sitting at the desks around the room come from many backgrounds despite being about the same age. Some come from very fortunate homes and others come from homes with only one parent or neither parents living with them. They will be a mixture of ethnicities and cultures too.  These things will affect their ability to learning and even participate in classroom discussions. Where they are in their adolescent development will also be different, affecting their critical thinking skills and level of responsibility. These students will also have different interests – some will be athletes, theater students or science nerds. Most will not be interested in biology and it will be my job to engage them in class discussions and spark their love of science.
I chose this picture because it represents the safe environment I will create in my classroom where students will feel safe to explore and learn! 
        The lesson today for my standard biology class will start with an exploratory activity. I will explain general lab safety rules again before passing out three different mystery chemicals to my students for them to determine the chemicals’ properties. I will give them wax paper and toothpicks to use. I will then walk around the room giving student more toothpicks, water or wax paper; then ask the students questions to further encourage their exploration. After 10 minutes of exploration I will ask the students to list the properties of the chemicals on the board, not guessing the chemical, before I reveal that the chemicals were all water. The students will clean up the activity materials while I pull the projector screen down then we will take notes on a short lecture about the properties of water and their importance to biology. While the students take notes and I lecture, I will walk around the classroom to help keep all the students on task and encourage discussion from the students. Specifically at the end of the lecture, I will ask students to think about why this is important for biology and share their ideas with the class. I will then give them the last 5-10 minutes of class for the students to complete homework assignments or read their textbooks and even though some students will not be on task I will be lenient depending on how good the students were during class.
        Lastly, I will assess the students learning first during class discussions but after class I will further assess the students through homework assignments that they have the option to redo for full credit till they master the material. I will also provide weekly quizzes over the material we cover each week and we will have tests after few chapters. These tests will be the best indication of how much the students have learned but I will also allow them to redo questions for a quarter of the points to make sure they truly master the subjects. I will also do a semester project, either a research type paper or creative group project depending on what would work best for my students to assess their learning and improvement of critical thinking skills.

Image result for high school teacher with students
I chose this last picture because I hope to be the kind of teacher that students feel comfortable approaching with questions and concerns about school or life! I want to be able to reach those students who need a mentor and to know that they are loved!


Photo Credit First Image: https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Dellosa-Twain-Chart-414019/dp/1580373135/ref=pd_sim_201_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BVGY1MVHCZP85KM17225
Photo Credit Second Image: http://skippersjungle.blogspot.com/2012/08/our-classroom-pictures-video-mine-and.html
Photo Credit Third Image: http://www.mrsnelsonsclass.com/teacherresources/classmanagement/classmanagement.aspx#reports
Photo Credit Fourth Image: https://evelivingston.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/do-men-control-the-key-student-societies-at-university/
Photo Credit Fifth Image: https://www.teachervision.com/classroom-management/new-teacher/71994.html?page=7

No comments:

Post a Comment